Author Topic: East Branch Reservoir?  (Read 1954 times)

yonkers26

• Forum All Star
East Branch Reservoir?
« on: July 10, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »
Besides being one of the most interestingly-shaped reservoirs I've seen, I have not heard much about it.

From what I've read, it's a great bass lake but it holds browns, walleye, and panfish.

Any input or experience?

canoejon

• Star Member
  • Forum All Star
Re: East Branch Reservoir?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 11:31:03 PM »
It's a great reservoir for walleye, not so much through the ice. Through the ice, it's great for panfish (yellows, whites and crappies). A few years ago the water was down and the walleye fishing from shore was amazing (In the photo I'll attach, one of them was a friend's; I do observe limits). They hit everything: worms, shiners, and plastic grubs. I just put a boat on there this spring but haven't really put the time in to get my walleye techniques together from the boat. It is also a great bass lake, especially smallies.

Biz-R-OWorld

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:47:06 PM »
Is East Branch the one near or in Brewster and also known as Sodom?

Nice walleyes by the way, I never caught one.

johnjav

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »
yeah that is it.  Its right  near rt 202 going past the honda car dealership in brewster.

I download google earth and its the coolest thing, i type in any reservoir name and location and it gives me the location of it. It def helps me grasp the entire area and all the nearby lakes.  you should download it, its free. 

-john

KenH

• Global Moderator
  • Star Member
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:34:32 AM »
Is East Branch the best reservoir around here for walleyes?
I know they are suppose to be in a couple of waters.
Jon that photo is inspiring!

yonkers26

• Forum All Star
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
That looks like a great day CanoeJon. I have yet to catch any walleyes either.....I concur Ken

rugermag

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
Wow!!!  They are really nice!

jager61

• Star Member
  • Forum All Star
  • Lakers, Inc. "The Tug is The Drug"
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »
Those are awesome Walleye Jon! About 8 years ago we had a short lived walleye bonanza on Boyds that produced fish like that but the DEP initiated several draw downs over the years and that pretty much took care of the walleyes!  Fun while it lasted!
Mike
"Petri Heil"

canoejon

• Star Member
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 01:45:41 PM »
Mike, I know the Boyds draw downs over the years have been very frustrating. It also used to be my favorite crappie place through the ice. I got on early last year before they closed it again and it was only so so. I think that's why the walleye's have shown up in West Branch.

Sodom has incredible rocky structure for most of it's bottom. I walked around when they drew it down a couple of years ago. I've never seen so many old stone walls, roads and foundations in a reservoir bottom. The walleyes often have crayfish in their bellies as well as saw bellies. there are tons of both in this reservoir. And lots of huge bass. I know there's guys that devote a good part of their spring fishing to taking the walleyes from Sodom.

The Great Swamp drains north into the Ten Mile River(a fun trout stream) and south into Sodom. It is an absolutely amazing place to explore in a canoe, especially in a wet spring. One feels like they're in one of those exotic trips, that you have to be flown in to.  I've only caught bass in the Great Swamp, but I'm told there's native trout in there and that they come down into Sodom, but I've never heard of anyone taking them.

Sodom is one of the first reservoirs to get safe ice. we were on there last December with a good six inches of the clearest, safest black ice. It's so cool to see a fish coming up. And there were big dead saw bellies frozen in that ice I couldn't explain. There weren't any other fish dead in the ice, just saw bellies, big ones, every thirty feet or so, we would see one. We would chip them out and jig with the pieces.

On my to do list is to learn the techniques to find the walleye from a boat so I just put one one there. They taste great but pound for pound they don't fight as well as a bass or trout. And unfortunately, the big ones are full of mercury like all the other big fish in these reservoirs.

jager61

• Star Member
  • Forum All Star
  • Lakers, Inc. "The Tug is The Drug"
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »
Very interesting stuff Jon! A few years back during one of Boyds drawdowns I GPS'd all sorts of exposed structure and walls etc for the hope that someday the walleye population recovers! Boyds also has very interesting old submerged foundations and old road beds etc! Butch and I are putting a boat on Bogs Brook this Thursday primarily to target the walleye that move back and forth between it and Sodom. Good potential there.

Mike
"Petri Heil"

Gordon

• Star Member
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 03:02:52 PM »
John, That's quite a stringer of walleyes! Anyone have any advice about trying for walleyes during warm weather? At night with a lantern?

canoejon

• Star Member
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 03:18:30 PM »
Yes, they evidently do go back and forth  through that tube. The ones I got were near there.

Not only are there interesting walls in Boyds but also lot of dead vegetation. The story I heard was that when they redid the dam they had to contract some guy to clear all the brush that grew up, but he took his time and didn't get the job done because the water came up so quickly. Boyds is pretty small and is surrounded by mountains and it can rise much faster than any of the other reservoirs after a rain. But that back end used to have a lot of dead young trees and bushes that held a ton of fish even in the middle and not just by the weed lines. A similar situation happened in Titicus when they drew it down for a while to work on the dam. There are places outside the weed line in 10 to 20 FOW with lots of interesting cover (and snags) that hold all kinds of fish.